Monday, January 9, 2012

Inner Bliss 101







On Saturday I had my Yoga 101 class at Inner Bliss....a two hour session where we learned about the practice, plus many of the beginner moves.


I'd been looking forward to this class since I signed up for it over a month ago. I knew I needed to learn the foundation before throwing myself into it, not only so I wouldn't injure myself, but so I would get the most out of each position as is meant to be.


Our instructor had two assistants, which really helped since they would come around the room to correct our positions or posture as necessary. For me, it was definitely necessary. There were some poses that came pretty easily to me, but others were more challenging so I needed that correction to ensure I was doing it right. I also appreciated the modifications for those of us who had to use them. I only needed a couple of these, but they made all the difference in the world for someone brand new to the practice.


At first my cough threatened to disrupt my session...and I was afraid I would disrupt the whole class. There were a couple of others with the same problem ('tis the season for colds) so the thermostat was turned down a little, which kept our throats from drying out too much. Our coughs subsided, I drank some water, and we moved on to learning. Good thing this wasn't a hot yoga class!


I felt so good performing the moves, and felt even better the rest of the day after class. I love the way yoga makes me feel. My body loves the poses and my mind appreciates the focus it brings. It's also a treat to be in a room full of people that truly want the best not only for themselves, but everyone around them as well. That doesn't happen often enough in this world, unfortunately. Hopefully I and the others can pass that on to the people around us in our lives. I know some will accept this concept while others won't, but it's sure worth a try and at least some people will get it!


Because I completed this special class, I have a free regular class coming to me. I will definitely take advantage of it. After that I may not be able to go regularly to the studio until my finances allow...but I'll have the foundation to do what I can at home in the meantime, and hopefully be able to pop in once a month or so to make some progress. My budget is already at the limit with the other fitness activities I'm involved in, while I keep building my freelance writing career and continue to look for a part time job to help pay the bills. Getting fitter helps me have more energy and confidence that spill over into the other areas of my life, so these are a neccessity as much as healthy food and other priorities. But I know I can only do so much at this time, and the added energy/confidence will assist me in the career arena so I can build upon what I've started.


So now that I've begun to experience inner bliss, I strive for more. Off to cardio class, which brings with it a whole different kind of bliss! ;o)

No comments: