Monday, June 15, 2009

Seal of Approval

Today was the day I've been waiting for...patiently, I think, but still hopeful that I would hear the words I really wanted to hear. I prayed a lot, made plans for what I would do if I heard the good news, and prayed some more.

Today was my check-up with the surgeon who performed my biopsies. I already had received the wonderful news that everything was benign, but at this appointment he was to check how my stitches were healing and tell me where to go from here. I got to his office and kept myself calm, knowing that so far everything looked good to me. Chances were good that it would look that way to him as well.

My son played video games as I was called in to see Dr. Trillis. I got changed into the lovely paper bolero jacket that I was given to wear for the exam. This type of "garment" makes it easier for the doctor to examine the breast area without you having to be totally undressed from the waist up. Now, I love bolero jackets, but usually on male dancers who are about to perform the Paso Doble. If I were to wear one, it would have to be a lot more stylish than this.

Of course, I was willing to put up with this fashion statement for the short time it took for the doctor to examine me. Thankfully it was not cold in his office. He came in and went over all of the details with me, then he examined the stitches. He was extremely pleased with the way I was healing. He also knew how anxious I was to get back to my workout routine, so he gave me that news I'd been longing to hear...I got the full go-ahead from him to work out as much as I want!

This was music to my ears. I've been spending all of the days that I couldn't exercise reading about it, so I have plenty of ideas about what to do next. I managed a short walk before my son's baseball game tonight, but tomorrow I will be going much harder on myself than that. You really learn to appreciate the ability to exercise after you've been laid up for almost a couple of weeks. I am not going to take that ability for granted now.

To put the proverbial icing on the cake...I weighed in this morning, and I weigh 209.6. That means I lost 1.4 pounds this week, even with barely being able to move because of the rash and the medication for it. Sticking with my healthy eating plan really paid off! Just think what this week will hold in store, when I can combine the eating and exercise plan. Watch out, here I come!

No comments: