Tuesday, June 1, 2010

ACTIVE Holiday Weekend!!!


On Memorial Day Weekends Past, we didn't do a whole heck of a lot. The most that would happen was attending BBQ's and eating a lot, then sitting around and talking with family and friends. Of course it was nice to catch up with everyone and have those conversations, but we were certainly not burning off all of the calories we had just eaten. In fact, we were too full to even feel like moving out of our chairs. We only got up to get another drink or more dessert.
Now to Memorial Day Weekend Present...we only had one BBQ to go to, and healthy food was served. We grilled at home as well, keeping to chicken or lean turkey burgers with salad and plenty of vegetables. Instead of big bowls of ice cream, we cooled off with sugar-free fudge pops. We went on long walks and bike rides, and played tennis. This is the first time I've ridden a bike in years. Until now, I had trouble balancing my extra weight and getting my legs to pump fast enough to get going. I still have a lot of weight to lose, but it's much easier to get on that bike now that I'm 35 pounds lighter.
The best thing is, we actually FELT like exercising! We didn't eat those heavy meals that would make us want to sit around or take a nap. We enjoyed our food, and it was fuel to help us do all of those fun activities. We drank plenty of water to stay hydrated, and didn't even miss all of the greasy, heavy foods. When I finally did sit out on my deck to read, I was able to really enjoy it because I had already gotten plenty of exercise and earned the time to just chill.
This is going to be a great summer. We are going to make the most out of every single day, just as it should be. I can't to see what our future holiday weekends have in store!!!

No comments: