Monday, June 14, 2010

Overcoming The New Scale Blues


I've been having a lot of trouble with my scale. I always did think it was kind of strange how when I went to my doctor's office, I weighed so much more than at home. Now I did take into consideration that at the doctor's I was fully dressed and had eaten breakfast, but that only accounted for part of the difference. There had to be some other explanation for the rest.
I finally bit the bullet and got a new scale. This morning I weighed myself on it to find the number read 200.2. After my heart leapt into my throat for a few seconds, I stepped on the old scale and saw 180.2. I actually weigh 20 pounds more than I thought I did all of these months! I feel like Ruby when she switched scales and the difference between the two was over 30 pounds. The new scale is definitely in line with what my doctor's scale shows, so I have to deduce that my old scale was faulty.
Learning that you weigh 20 pounds more than you thought you did is not a good feeling. Here I thought I was well below the 200 mark, when I'm really just above it. I've been spending a lot of time thinking about it since this morning's weigh-in. I've come to the following conclusions:
1. I started out weighing much more than I originally thought, but I've still lost a lot of weight.
2. I'm still down over 35 pounds, and whether that started from 237 or 217 doesn't matter. I've still accomplished quite a bit.
3. My clothes are much looser and I'm even in some size 16's now...so I know I'm doing something right.
4. I have more energy, less aches and pains, and I feel much better and can do more. And I'm off my blood pressure meds!
5. I am NOT, I repeat...NOT a number. I'm not the number on the scale or the digits on the tags sewn into my clothes. I am a good person, on the outside and the inside. However those other numbers fluctuate and for whatever reasons, nothing changes that I am a unique and wonderful person. We are all beautiful at all times!
Of course I will continue to eat nutritious foods and get my exercise. I'm still working toward the 5K Race For The Cure in September. I am doing everything I can to be healthier, and I already am. Nothing is going to stop me from doing the things I want to do...not a shocking number or the fact that I'm not a size 2. (Size 2 is not realistic for me to begin with, nor is it for most people.) I am living life to the fullest, no matter where I'm at on the journey!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

you go girl!!! i'm right there with you trying to get my weight down too , its not easy but i have to for my health , i have high blood preasure ,high colesterol , and i'm borderline diabetic , which really scares me , so i know i have to lose it or start with insulin and i don't want that , you have been doing great and i'm sure you will continue good luck and i hope i have as much sucess as you Marie :) xoxo Linda

WriterMarie said...

Thank you Linda...and I wish you wonderful success with your health! xoxoxo

Patsy said...

Well done for recognising all that you've achieved. You're no different to how you were before you stepped on the 'accurate' scales, but I can understand it must have been a shock...

Carie said...

I love your positive attitude! You have come a long way and in the process are inspiring others! Good for you!

WriterMarie said...

Thanks everyone! Today is a new day...and I'm moving forward! :o)

Mesha said...

...I love, love, love this post and will likely link it to my next blog! You are amazing for a million different reasons, but I am proud of your perspective AND for stepping back to still find encouragement and all the amazing steps you've taken AND weight you've lost. You are doing it girl, don't stop! Doesn't matter that "start number" it's the fact that you are making it drop to become a happier, healthier you and LOVING yourself all throughout the process...from size 32(where I started) to size 2 (where I never want to be...lol)...you've gotta love yourself the whole way! Thanks for all the encouragement you provide...keep at it - healthy living is the way to be.

WriterMarie said...

Aww, thank you Mesha! You made my day!!! xoxoxo