Friday, June 18, 2010

Scale Tales Part 2 - No Obsessing!


I am SO over the new scale blues. I told you on Monday what happened when I used my new scale and discovered my old one was defective. Luckily I only freaked out for a moment, because I realized that I am not a number...I am a person.
We place too much emphasis on what the scale tells us. If we are exercising regularly, eating mostly healthy foods with an occasional treat, and drinking plenty of water, we are on the right path. What size our dresses or jeans are is NOT important. What is important is that we regain our health. Getting off of medications, having more energy, and feeling better are what really matters.
I have decided that I will no longer obsess over the number on the scale. I know I'm doing the right things for my body, and that it will settle into the size it's supposed to be. I will not be fixated on a certain size...I will let my body decide that. I will not expect giant losses on the scale; that is TV reality, not REAL reality. When you lose weight at a normal rate, you are more likely to keep it off, and not endanger your internal organs. I recall a gentleman who was on the board of directors where I used to work years ago...he wanted to lose weight quickly because he and his wife were going on a cruise. He lost 30 pounds in a month and looked great for his vacation, but two months later he dropped dead of a heart attack while he was driving. This man was only in his forties, and it was found that the rapid weight loss most likely did damage to his heart. I don't know about you, but I'd rather lose weight slowly, still have a few extra pounds on me for my trip...and still live a long life after I got back.
Not obsessing over the scale is not license to eat anything and everything. It just means that I am focusing on getting and being healthy instead of the numbers game. As I keep doing the right things, more weight will come off. I will not go to extremes in either direction.
I am changing the title of my blog slightly...to Getting Healthy, No More Excuses. There is no excuse for not taking care of yourself...that's the part that matters. It's going to be all about being stronger and more confident, and what I can do instead of being a certain weight. Don't put off your life until you reach that "special" number...live it now!!!

No comments: