Friday, June 4, 2010

Drink This...NOT That!!!


The weather is getting warmer and the days are getting longer...in some locations it's already downright sweltering. Summer is my favorite season...far away from snow shoveling, icy roads, and wind chills below zero. The warmer it is, the better I feel.

When it's this hot outside, we look for ways to cool off. This can take many forms, from swimming to air conditioning. The easiest way to refresh is an ice cold drink of some sort. If you're a coffee lover like I am, you are probably switching from a hot cup of java to something iced. What's better than a way to cool off combined with your caffeine for the day?

The problem is, a lot of these iced coffee drinks are filled with fat, calories, and sugar. In some cases you'd be better off drinking a milkshake or eating dessert than drinking a fancy iced coffee. One thing I do is make my own at home most of the time, where I can control what goes into it. Then I treat myself occasionally to one of those other coffees...just not too often.

If you don't make your own or you're on the road a lot and have to stop for coffee, you have to be really careful what you get. Men's Health put together a list of the worst coffee drinks at several chains, along with the better alternatives. You can check out this list at http://eatthis.menshealth.com/content/worst-frozen-coffee-drinks and see for yourself.

Don't sabotage your healthy eating plan unknowingly by drinking down a day's worth of calories in one sitting. You can choose wisely and still have your iced coffee!

2 comments:

Moe said...

It's funny, I've been making my own low fat version for over a year now and when I stopped last week for a fast version I was surprised when I realized I preferred mine.

WriterMarie said...

I know what you mean! LOL When you make yourself, you get it exactly the way you want it!