Friday, April 23, 2010

Tennis Anyone? I'm Ready!!!


Well, I may not quite be ready to face Maria Sharapova yet, but I'm ready to play tennis! I'm so happy that the weather is getting nicer and I can actually do things outside. Pretty soon I'll be planting a garden, so I can have fresh veggies right in my own backyard that are free of chemicals and pesticides. I haven't planted one in years, but now is the time. I have more energy and will be able to keep up with the gardening now. It always tastes better when you grow it yourself!

My absolute favorite spring and summer activity, though, is tennis. I've loved the sport ever since I was a young girl, and enjoyed hitting the ball around with my friends. When no one else was available to play, I would bounce the tennis ball up against the brick wall and just practice by myself on our cement patio. I could literally do this for hours...or until all 3 balls from the Wilson can had been hit up onto our roof and gotten stuck. Then I would have to fetch my dad so he could get up on the ladder and retrieve them for me. He would always give me "that look" when I came to get him, but I knew that he really didn't mind, because I was getting some good exercise.

I've played sporadically over the years, and never had actual tennis lessons. Last summer I started hitting the ball around with my son, and we both have a lot of fun. I would like to get better, and take lessons when I have the funds to do so. One thing I have noticed, however, is how much better I've gotten since we had to put the racquets away for the winter. I can run better, hit better, and have more stamina now. I attribute this to having 34 less pounds to lug around while I play. I can really tell the difference...and there will only be more improvement as I continue to shed weight.

So if you ask me if I'm up for a few sets, I will gladly tell you yes. But be aware that this woman does not go down easily...in tennis or in life. Bring it on!!! ;o)

No comments: