Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Biggest Loser 13 - Cowgirl Up With Bethany Hamilton



This is the inspiring episode I've been waiting for all season.


The way Season 13 has been going, this week's show was sorely needed. Sure, it's been getting better the last couple of weeks, but they finally gave us what we really wanted.


Not just a trip to Hawaii. How about surfing with Bethany Hamilton?


I adore Bethany Hamilton. I saw Soul Surfer the first night it was out in theaters and own it on DVD. This is a woman who personifies this season's theme of No Excuses. As a teenager, a shark bit off her arm while she was surfing. Did she let that stop her? No way - she was back up on the board in a month and still competes, blowing away the competitors who have both of their arms. Her Christian faith strengthens her and keeps her going. I love that she's such an amazing role model for young (and not so young) women and girls to look to God and persevere no matter what.


So who better to teach the Biggest Loser contestants to surf in Hawaii? Just try using one of your excuses on her. She never gave up even when she lost her arm. None of the BL excuses could even hold water with her. (Yes, pun intended.)


One of the best parts of the surfing lesson was watching Kimmy and Dolvett deal with their fears of the water. Who would have thought that Dolvett was scared to death to surf? It just goes to show that all of us, no matter who we are, have our weaknesses and fears that we have to deal with. Kimmy finally decided to "cowgirl up" and do it. I loved the look on her face when she conquered that wave. And I guess you could say that Dolvett cowgirled up as well, though I'm sure he'd just love that comparison. (I have the song "Cowgirls Don't Cry" running through my head now...) He also made it through his fear and the waves. It's pretty incredible what you can do when you can get your mind past being scared and just do it.


I also loved how Dolvett got Kim to reveal her softer side. She was afraid that showing her vulnerability was bad, and that other people would use it against her. Dolvett taught her that acknowledging that part of her was essential, so she could see all sides of herself, accept them and still be her best. I admit to feeling the same way myself. Sometimes you don't want others to see your weaknesses, but we're all human and we all have them. The world would be a much better place if we could all be real with each other and ourselves. Then we could help each other reach our true potential!


When both Megan and Kimmy fell below the yellow line, I knew Kimmy would sacrifice herself for her daughter. I'm really proud of what Kimmy's done at home. She realized that you have to go for your dreams, so she joined up to help out with a theraputic riding program for people with disabilities. She wants to have her own program someday, and she's finding a way for others to be their best no matter what the odds. When you learn about yourself and conquer your own demons, it's so much easier to help other people reach their potential. I'm so glad she's paying it foward.


Next week looks to be pretty interesting as well. But for now, I'm on my virtual trip to Hawaii. Time to pull out the Soul Surfer DVD again and be inspired!

No comments: