Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Beating The Heat...In My House!!!


No, I'm not wishing for it to snow yet...there will be plenty of that here in Cleveland when winter comes around! I'm staring at this picture and trying to stay cool. The temperatures have been in the high 80's and low 90's the past few days, and our air conditioner has gone on strike. We found out that we need to get a whole new unit, because there are several leaks in this system...and they aren't making the parts for this cheapo brand that the builder used when this house was constructed. (Gee...I wonder why our builder is no longer in business???)
We're trying to get several estimates for a new unit, because we're still catching up on bills from when my husband was laid off. It's been a rough year and a half, but things are looking up. The first few days without air were fine, because the daytime temps were in the low 70's and it was around 60 at night. But the past few days have been miserable, especially for sleeping. I've been doing my walking in the upstairs hallway in the evenings, when it's a little cooler and there's a nice cross-breeze flowing from the bedrooms. There is no way I'm using the heat as an excuse not to work out...I'm through with excuses!
We are drinking a lot of ice water, and we even went to the mall on Monday to get cool. I got a good workout walking the mall, and since I can't really shop yet I didn't stop that often to look at stuff. Well, except for a really cool pair of running shoes that I saw, which will be going on my wish list for Christmas...or sooner if we can. Eating lighter foods really helps in the heat as well, and using the stove and oven as little as possible. Lots of nice, cold fruits and veggies for me!
Right now God just sent a gorgeous breeze through my home office window...thank you God!!! I will also look at that picture of Squaw Valley some more...and let it remind me that I want to be in shape for ski season. Stay cool everyone!

No comments: