Friday, September 11, 2009

Small Victories Turn Into Big Ones!


Today I decided I would make a list of accomplishments since starting this weight loss journey. I've lost a little over 9 pounds, which is wonderful, but that's not the only thing going on here. It helps to think about all of the good stuff that happens when you switch to a healthy lifestyle, especially when you haven't lost enough for people to really notice what you've accomplished so far.
I can still remember last year about this time, when I had lost 13 pounds and no one said anything, but they noticed that another family member had lost weight...and he had only lost 7 pounds! That day I wound up having a second piece of cake because I felt so discouraged. That is not going to happen this time around. I will think about my list of what I call "small victories", to keep me from losing my mind when strange things like this happen. Here's my list to date:
1. My clothes are a lot looser already
2. Some clothes that were too tight before fit now
3. When in the shower, I can feel that my stomach doesn't stick out as far as it did before
4. The bath towel now goes all the way around my body
5. I feel fuller sooner, with less food
6. I am satisfied with just a small serving of a treat, instead of wanting to eat way too much of it
7. I prefer water over soda now
8. I'm starting to have more energy
9. I can tell my body is getting stronger
10. My husband notices that I've lost weight
11. My son loves that his arms fit all the way around me now
12. I can dance for a lot longer now!
I know I will add to this list as time goes on. I challenge all of you to make a list of your small victories. I know it will help all of us boost our confidence, and before you know it, our small victories will have turned into huge accomplishments!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

#11 alone makes the entire journey worth it imo. I love your list!

John Ettorre said...

Congratulations on your progress, Marie. Good luck.