Thursday, May 28, 2009

Walk A Mile In My Shoes

Have you ever heard this: "You need to walk a mile in someone else's shoes...that way you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes." Well, up until yesterday, you would not have wanted my shoes!

I have this very comfortable old pair of sneakers that I wear everywhere. I even wear them when I go walking around my neighborhood. It's a well-known brand of shoe and very well made, but they are slip-ons...no laces to tie or anything to fuss with. I just slip them on and go. The problem with this is that over time they've gotten pretty beat up, and the construction has stretched out so that they are a little looser. Without any laces, they is no way to make them tighter.

Enter my new walking shoes: another name brand bought at an outlet store last year to save money, but this time with laces. The fit is so much better, and they have better traction because they are newer. It was amazing to walk around the neighborhood yesterday afternoon (Yes, I made it through my walk before the rainstorm came!) and find that I could walk better and faster because my feet did not hurt and I did not have leg pain to slow me down. I walked farther than usual and at a better pace, all because I changed my shoes. To top it off...no blisters either!

Please make sure you get a good fitting pair of shoes and get rid of those old worn ones. It will make a world of difference in your exercise routine, and you will be more likely to stick with it. And if you want to walk a mile in my shoes, I'll make sure to give you the old pair...I'm not parting with my new ones!

Marie :o)

No comments: