Tuesday, August 30, 2011

It's The Most Wonderful Time of the Year!



Oh yes, you can count me among those who act like the dad in the Staples commercial who is so happy that his kids are going back to school. After a solid month of hearing, "Mom, I'm bored!" from my son, he began 8th grade today and I couldn't be more thrilled.


It's not that I didn't enjoy his company during the summer...we went swimming and did other fun things, thoroughly enjoying ourselves. But there were days that were trying, that even when we had done a lot and I settled down to my computer or housecleaning that he claimed that he didn't know what to do with himself and I needed to "entertain" him. He did not count my bursting into show tunes entertainment, nor did he like most of my jokes. It must be that he's almost 13 and everything mom does is "lame". I also suggested he help me clean, which was met with the dirtiest of looks. So I tried to get work done while he completed his summer reading or played video games.


Now that school has started, I can get back to a regular routine. It will be easier to schedule writing, cleaning, and workouts now that my son is occupied for most of the day. He was also happy to start school, as he loves to learn and is excited to gain more knowledge. (Funny how that happens even when you claim to know everything!) He also gets to see the friends that weren't around for the summer and catch up on things - while I catch up on stuff around here.


So although I may not be riding a shopping cart with a giddy look on my face, I am doing my own little happy dance. Here's to a successful school year...not only for my son, but for all of your kids as well!

No comments: