Friday, August 5, 2011

Planking The Proper Way

If you've been following me the last few months, you know that I love my Pilates. My entire body feels so much better after a session, and I've been doing some of the floor exercises at home as well to keep getting more strength and flexibility. I'm amazed at what Pilates is doing for me and so many other people who have been looking for ways to deal with chronic pain...it's doing what so many other things I've tried couldn't do - lessen the pain without meds.

Yesterday my instructor, Janice, had me try a few new moves. One of these is the plank position...and I don't mean the "planking" that's so popular (and somewhat dangerous) to do anywhere and everywhere nowadays. This is planking on the Reformer - which is pictured above demonstrated by Janice. Now, she's been doing this for a long time so she makes it look "easy". In this plank position, you don't lay with your stomach flat on a surface. It takes a lot of balance and strength to achieve this pose.

My first thought was, "You've got to be kidding me...I can't do that yet!" Thankfully that thought only lasted for a few seconds...because I fully trust Janice and she never steers me wrong. I also want to strike the words "I can't" from my vocabulary, so there was no way I wasn't going to try it. I actually did better than I thought. Each time I was only able to hold the position for a few seconds, but I was DOING it! Janice told me that everyone has to build up to being able to do the pose for a longer time and that I did well for the first time out.

I guess I can truly say that I didn't know my own strength...but I'm sure finding out about it now. I felt a real sense of accomplishment doing something I thought wasn't possible for me. Thank you to Janice at BodyWave Pilates for believing in me...I will now be "planking" more often!

No comments: