Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Dealing With Ankle Pain


For about a week now, I've been dealing with pain at the back of my left ankle.  I have no idea how it got that way.  Last Sunday I woke up, started going about my business, and halfway through the day it started to hurt.

I haven't done any unusual workouts or tried anything new that should have bothered my ankle.  I didn't whack it against anything or even notice any problems during my usual exercise.  It feels like it just showed up all of a sudden.  I wish it would go away all of a sudden as well...it's starting to feel better but still giving me some problems.

So what have I been doing for the last week?  The old me would have just sat on the couch and "babied" my ankle, afraid to do anything.  But this is a new me - while I'm still being careful with it, I am also finding ways to work around it so I can still work out.

I don't put a lot of weight on it when it's not necessary.  I do ankle exercises that are supposed to stretch and strengthen the area.  And I'm skipping the step, but still doing the kettlebells.  I do a lot of leg and knee lifts where I can set my foot down gently.  Plus, I'm doing something I learned from Extreme Makeover Weight Loss Edition - inspired by Chris Powell making someone sit in every seat in a stadium, I'm doing the same with my couch, moving from one end to the other sitting and standing over and over again.  It turns out that getting up and down out of your seat repeatedly really works your legs, core, and butt...and gets your heart rate going pretty well.

I also can still go to spin class, since there is limited pressure on the ankles.  I've found that I feel fine after spin, so I scheduled an extra class for this week to keep myself moving.  I've come a long way, and I refuse to sit around and backslide, letting weight creep back on because of this.  I will continue to do what I can with whatever issues or circumstances comes up, in fitness and in life.  God gives me the strength to be creative and do what I need to do.

So if you have any type of issue with your workouts, I urge you to find a way to work with or around them.  You will be so glad you did and a stronger person than you were before!

No comments: