Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Surviving The Hot Summer



The fans are going WILD!!!!!

No, I'm not at a sporting event or a concert.  I'm not even in the vicinity of those right now.  I'm sitting in my home office, at my computer, in a house with no air conditioning.  The only thing saving me right now is the desk fan my husband got for me, so I don't become delirious while trying to write.  (although I might come up with some VERY interesting stories that way!)

Our air conditioner bit the dust at the end of last summer.  We had it checked, and found out that the unit the builder used in our house (which is only 10 years old) is no longer being made - nor can we get parts for it.  So...that means we have to buy a whole new unit.  We didn't have the money to do it then, but thought we would by the time this summer rolled around. 

Well, we still don't have the funds.  Car repairs and other emergencies came up, and our budget is extremely tight.  So we're fighting our way through this especially hot summer, thankful for each time there is a break for a day or two from the intense temperatures.  Anytime a breeze blows through a window, I say a prayer to God thanking Him for it.  And the fans really are going wild - the one at my desk, plus the three others that we move around depending what room we are in at any given time.  Most days they help...unless the temperatures climb into the 90's when it just feels like hot air blowing around.

You know what it's like when the heat gets to you, especially if you are still overweight.  And that's the case for me.  Although I'm down over 35 pounds, I still have quite a bit to lose.  So it's uncomfortable.  But I also realize it would have been a lot worse if I hadn't lost any of the weight yet!

The real trick is getting my workouts done without passing out.  When I go to spin class it's fine, because the studio has plenty of air and fans to keep us sane.  It's working out at home that becomes challenging.  I'm so grateful that our finished basement is much cooler than the rest of the house, because I can do DVD workouts there.  Sometimes I still exercise on the first floor, using my step and kettlebells with a fan going.  But if it's in the mid-90's or above, I don't exert myself like that.  It gets to be too much for my body.  Then I try to just go for a light walk if I can to at least keep moving.

The other key is to stay hydrated.  I'm drinking cold water like it's going out of style, but it's necessary in this heat - before, during, and after exercise.  I've also been known to open the freezer door and stand in front of it for a quick cooldown. (And possibly get a little jealous of my frozen foods right now...)

The weight is still coming off...a little slower than before, but that's OK.  I'm doing my best with what I have, still moving forward.  I'm not just giving up and sitting around all the time because it's so hot; I won't give up on my progress just because of the heat. 

I will continue with my fitness no matter what.  It's something I can be proud of, and will push me to get stronger in the long run.  Will keep working on that hot body - and I don't mean overheated!

No comments: