Thursday, September 22, 2011

Biggest Loser Season 12 Premiere: What Do You Think of the New Trainers?



Tuesday night's season premiere of Biggest Loser ushered in a new era...one without well-loved trainer Jillian Michaels. Bob Harper is still there (thank God!) and he chose to lead the black team in honor of his former partner in crime. Bob is even more fierce than before while revealing his heart, making for the perfect balance in a trainer.


Two new trainers join Bob this season, Dolvett Quince and Anna Kournikova. Dolvett is taking on the red team while Anna leads the blue.


In the first challenge, the three teams were broken into age groups and competed for the right to choose their trainer. Of course the winning team chose Bob. He's proven himself from Season 1 until now and his track record speaks for itself. And with Bob, you know (for the most part) what you're going to get.


The second place team chose Dolvett, who is an experienced trainer in his own right. His long list of happy, fit clients includes some guy named Justin Bieber. (All of the young girls know Justin's in great shape for sure, while I show my age by still proclaiming my devotion to David Cassidy.) As I watched the first episode, Dolvett impressed me. Actually, I was much more than impressed. I became an immediate fan of his training style, which includes his way of showing tough love along with the compassion necessary for working with broken, obese contestants. Plus, I certainly agree with all of my female friends that he's extremely easy on the eyes!


The third place team didn't really have a choice. They became Anna's team. I was skeptical from the very first announcement of her as a trainer. Yes, she's an incredible tennis player, and she's definitely in top shape. But I didn't think she had what it took to really get the best out of all of the contestants in her charge. As the show began, I mentioned that I hope she proves me wrong...and discovered that most people are as skeptical as I am. The first show didn't do anything to change my mind yet. Anna is very sweet - possibly a little TOO sweet. I love her compassion, especially when she ran out to meet her team before they got to the finish line. She was also immediately thrown in the deep end since one of her team members found out her dad passed away just as she was getting settled on the ranch. Anna handled that well.


The problem is in the gym. Anna is not tough enough on her team. Even when she attempts to sound angry or push them it comes out much too nice. I'm not saying she has to be mean to everyone. What she does need is to find that balance that Bob and Dolvett have - the balance between compassion and rousing people into their consciousness so they do their best. Results will not happen without the tough love. Everyone needs a major kick in the butt as a wake-up call to reclaim their health.


The results on the scale proved the point. Bob's team won with a considerable lead over Dolvett's team. And Dolvett's team crushed Anna's. The difference was significant, showing which methods actually get the job done.


I still hope Anna proves me wrong...as the weeks go on it's possible that she will find her rhythm and learn to be a tough motivator while still keeping the compassion. What do you think of the new trainers? Drop me a line and tell me what you think!

No comments: